Sunday, July 08, 2007

28% to go!

We're almost there - we have $6,120 (72%)! You can help us with our project by donating now or matching a gift from your employee(s)! Or read "The Complete Plan" (in PDF format) to get more info!

Sending a check via mail:
Include project #519-082, M Gullett, Community Technology Center in the memo field and mail to:

Peace Corps
OPSI Partnership Program
1111 20th Street NW,
8th Floor
Washington, DC 20526
------------------------------------------------------------

What made me MELT last week:

I had just dropped off a Peace Corps trainee to spend a few nights with a family in a neighboring community (you all remember my immersion day experiences from training) and was walking back to my house. A little girl, probably about eight years old, yelled, "Buenas, señorita Michelle!" And I said, "Buenas!" And the following conversation ensued:

Little girl: "Are you coming to school tomorrow?"

Me: "I don't think I can tomorrow."

Little Girl: "But we want to have a party!"

Me: "And you can have a party if I go?"

Little Girl: "Yes!"

Me: "And why is that?"

Little Girl: "Because we're celebrating teacher day and we need to celebrate you!"

Me: "Ohhhh...that's so sweet!" (giving her a hug)

Little Girl: (with her face lighting up) "So you'll come?"

Me: "Oh...I want to...but I have a meeting in the capital with some people from the Ministry of Education really early in the morning! I'm sorry!"

Little Girl: (looking down and all sad) "Ok....I guess we'll just save your present until Monday."

Oh my goodness!!! SUPER SWEET! The only time I'm with the little kids is during their weekly computer classes this year. And she still wanted me to go! Seriously, I was ready to melt!

Oh, and read today's (Sunday's) Lima News article about our project!

No comments: