Sunday, December 10, 2006

Dad Turns 50!

December 4, 2006. My dad turned 50! 5 decades! And he came to celebrate it with me. For 5 days. So, guess what we did? We celebrated a decade of his life each day. (Some days the theme worked out great, some days, it was pretty lame.) Here's how it worked out:









Day 1: 1956 - 1966
He depended on his parents for everything, so the theme was money. I gave him a colon (the money El Salvador used before switching to the US dollar) and he got to pay for dinner. :)











Day 2: 1966 - 1976
He was going to school, learning about everything, and started his hobbies, like photography, the theme for the day. I told him I wanted to give him a memory book from his visit from last year, but all the photos he sent me were low resolution so I couldn't do it until he got me higher res photos. (This was a lame theme day.) :)








Day 3: 1976 - 1986
He was having kids, graduating from college, working multiple jobs to support the family, etc. So, the theme was getting through the tough times. We hiked a volcano. And when I say hiked a volcano, what I mean is, started on top of a hill above the volcano, walked down, then walked UP the volcano, then surfed down rocks on the other side (because it's made up of loose rocks), then hiked back UP the huge freaking hill. That was an experience...









Day 4: 1986 - 1996
During these years, he was raising the kids, so the theme was family trips. And we went to visit another volunteer, Leah, to plan a 2008 trip to Alaska. (She used to be a tour guide there.)










Day 5: 1996 - 2006
He was adjusting to life with kids living apart and getting back into his hobbies. So, the theme was relaxation. We just chilled that day and he got a massage.

We had a blast while he was here! And ate some darn good food here in El Salvador! Hopefully, he'll remember it for awhile!


To view videos from the week, visit here.

No comments: